If you’re tired after a long year and are finally ready to set off on your vacation, it can seem like a great time to sleep the days away. But did you know that’s one of the worst ways to make your vacation seem longer?
So what should you do if you want your holiday (that will stretch out just a few weeks) to feel like a lot longer? Here are some tips to stretch the days out as much as you can!
- Get up early. I know, I know, you’re on holiday! You want to sleep in and catch up on those zzzzz’s you’ve been missing out on all year. But trust me, getting up at a reasonable time is one of the best ways to make your holiday seem longer. If you’re really tired make sure you get to bed at a reasonable time. As a family there are typically far more things to do during the day anyway!
- Leave the TV turned off. TV is one of those habits that can make time seem to be speeding by without you even noticing it. If you’re going to miss your ‘shows’ arrange to have them recorded at home and catch up on them once you are back. TV is also a distraction that can stop you getting to bed at a reasonable time or from going to bed early.
- Try new things. If you have luxury holidays Antigua style planned, make sure you make the most of that luxury. Have a decadent massage; take a yacht out into the beautiful crystal blue waters. Or anything really that you haven’t done before or would never consider doing at home. There is a study of thought that the more lasting memories you create in a given period, the longer that time period will seem to you.
- Do as few chores as possible. If you have small kids you’re obviously going to have to do a few things to keep the wheels spinning. But if your kids are older consider leaving all your washing until you come back from holiday. If luggage size is not an issue this should be pretty easy. Especially if there’s a lot of swimming on your holiday. Bathing suits take up no room at all and just need a quick rinse when you’re done with them for the day. Eat out as often as you can. This removes the need for shopping for groceries AND cooking while on holiday. Leave bill paying until you get home if you can and consider ignoring your email until you’re home too.
- Make the most of your evenings. If you’re leaving the TV off you’ll have plenty of time for evening fun. Play a board game or a game of cards with the kids. Use the evening to take in a movie, an outdoor concert or to take the family bowling. These are all fun activities that mean you are out and about and your body will think you’ve had a big day!
Do you have any other tips for making vacation days seem longer? Let us know in the comments.